The Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) has opened applications for the AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme 2023. This initiative aims to strengthen the health research capacity of female scientists in Africa who are tackling the continent’s major health challenges. The fully online programme will be held over eight 3-hour sessions between September and November 2023, and is designed to produce tangible progress towards a grant proposal.
The programme will cover the following topics:
- Developing and expressing your unique research niche
- Formulating a compelling research question
- Understanding funders’ requirements
- Writing in plain English
- Writing different sections of a proposal
- Key parts of a typical Case for Support / Project Description
- Planning your proposed project and budget
- Principles of managing and collaborating with a team
- Understanding and practising peer review
- Preparing for a Fellowship interview.
AREF does not provide funding for participants to access equipment or internet services nor reimburse any other expenses associated with the programme or per diem payments.
AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a woman health researcher/scientist.
- Be a citizen of an African country.
- Hold a research doctorate (PhD/DPhil/MD) or a medical/clinical qualification plus a research-relevant Master’s degree.
- Be currently employed in Africa by a recognised university or specialist research institution.
- Not have participated in equivalent proposal development / grant-writing training.
- Be committed to developing and conducting health research.
- Not have a significant portfolio of international research grants (combined value of £250,000 or more).
The programme includes:
- Daily 3-hour online sessions from September 18-22, 2023 (09:30-12:30 GMT).
- Daily 3-hour online sessions from November 8-10, 2023 (09:30-12:30 GMT).
AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme Application Process
For more information, visit the AREF website.
The AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme 2023 is a fantastic opportunity for female biomedical/health researchers in Africa to enhance their grant writing skills and advance their research careers. Don’t miss the chance to participate in this impactful programme – apply now to secure your spot.
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.